Saturday, November 29, 2008

How to make parsley tea


Cucumber or parsley?
Originally uploaded by Wesley*
Here are some general directions to make herbal tea or infusion:

1. pour one cup of boiling water over the plant material to be infused
2. cover and let it stand for 5 minutes
3. strain
4. drink

Fresh plant material:
use 1/4 cup of fresh herb material - follow the instructions above

Dried plant material:
use 2 teaspoons of dry herb - follow the instructions above

Seeds:
use 2 teaspoons of dry seeds - follow the instructions above

Which part of parsley (Petroselinum crispus) to use:
When referring to parsley tea, the leaves are used for infusion. Parsley seeds are traditionally used for rheumatism and arthritis.
Note: tea made from parsley seeds can cause fetal damage and abortion so it has to be avoided during pregnancy.

Traditionally parsley tea has been used as:

* diuretic
* for removing excess water from the body
* for slimming
* for boosting kidneys
* for rheumatism
* for gout and arthritis
* for contracting the uterus - after childbirth
* to ease menstrual pain
* for period irregularity
* as detoxifier

Parsley tea also has a calming effect on adrenal glands - according to Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan

Also check out general guidelines for using herbal teas/infusions.


***

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew parsley was so good for us? Not me, I always considered it a garnish. Sounds good as a tea though :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that recipe Daria, I have tried it and its yum. And what a lot of good reasons for drinking it! As I get older I am noting that some of my joints don't work as well as they should and you never know this may help. I also have a couple of friends who are interested in this tea and will be grateful to know how it is made. So Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Oh yuck! Parsley tea, never thoguht of that before. I LOVE the idea of drinking hearbels but I hate the taste of most :(

Anonymous said...

Mmm .. I can just smell it brewing ..

I wonder if you can see the same thing with other herbs. Would love to try oregano tea ... mmmm

Anonymous said...

Wow - I have never heard of parsley tea. I switched from coffee to tea a long time ago, and my favorite is still plain black tea.

Anonymous said...

I logged onto the credit of the parsley photo and would you believe he doesn't know what parsley looks like! I guess in some countries there is so much packaged goods that plain food is a mystery. I know of city children here in New Zealand that think milk only comes in plastic containers from the supermatket!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know what this tastes like if you can describe it. I'm interested in trying it but am scared about the taste.

Anonymous said...

Nothing to be afraid of Connie. It tastes quite pleasant. A little bitter so you may wish to sweeten it with some honey, but I like it as it is. Not quite like eating parsley, which actually I don't like! A little like coriander but not nearly as strong. It is quite refreshing so do give it a go. If you don't like it you can always throw it out but you will never know if you don't try it.

Anonymous said...

i have never heard of parsley tea before, and i have to say that it doesn't sound too appealing. thanks, patricia, for describing the taste a bit. i would have guessed that it would taste like parsley does when you eat it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I'm going to give it a try. I can really use it for my health issues.

Anonymous said...

I just remembered that my great grandmother used to tell us to nibble on the parsley left on our plate after a meal for fresh breath!

Daria's World - blog about people and things that matter the most

Daria's World - blog about people and things that matter the most
Google