Thursday, November 20, 2008

Homemade cranberry sauce with a twist

Even when using recipes - I just have to invent something that's uniquely mine, to adjust ingredients and taste to my preferences.

Here's the story about inventing a different kind of homemade cranberry sauce.

About a year or so ago I found this really great recipe how to cook cranberries into delicious sauce. I used the original recipe a few times and the sauce was great: easy to make and tasty. The only thing I have a problem with is that it calls for a lot of sugar (which I try to eliminate from my diet) and orange juice (which is acidic so it's also on my "stay-away list").

That's why I cooked my newly invented sugar free cranberry sauce by replacing sugar with agave syrup and orange juice with grapefruit juice...

... and my 2008 Thanksgiving cranberry sauce recipe is as follows:

  • 12 ounces cranberries
  • juice of a medium-sized grapefruit
  • approximately 1/2 cup of agave syrup*

Directions:
Cook cranberries in grapefruit juice and agave syrup in a medium size pan over medium heat for about 10 minutes (cranberries need to pop). Remove from heat, place in a bowl and let the sauce cool and thicken.

If you like your cranberry sauce more jellied, mash cooked cranberries with a fork.

* The quantity of agave syrup is approximate because the taste will depend on the size and the sweetness of the grapefruit you use. However, with using agave syrup as a sweetener it's easy to add more, even after the sauce cools down.

And the most important thing about this recipe is that it's good for everyone, does not contain any alcohol or any artificial ingredients.

Enjoy!



***

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Goodness, this looks to die for! I love cranberries and always stock up at this time of year when they're on sale and keep bags in my freezer for year-round use.

Stop Energy Drains said...

I do the same (stock-up) thing - cranberries are one of my top favorites! :)

Anonymous said...

I love cranberries. They just opened the Hickory Farm in the mall to day... I had to get some cranberry mustard. It is awesome. I make my sauce with oranges instead of grapefruit. Happy Holidays

Jen said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum...Count me in~

Jen
http://thoughtsfromthefrontporch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

mmmm...i *love* cranberry sauce. thanks for the recipe!

Daria's World - blog about people and things that matter the most

Daria's World - blog about people and things that matter the most
Google